Doan Courant

The semi-whenever newsletter for one of the many Doan Families.

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Cheesy chicken and rice casserole

I adapted this recipe from Campbells

Some chicken pieces (3 or 4, totaling about 1.5 pounds)
Some onion (maybe 1/2 a large onion)
Some garlic (maybe 2 or 3 cloves)
Some oregano or basil or both (however much you want)
2 cups water
1 cup rice
1 can condensed cream of chicken soup
Some vegetables (sometimes I use more than one kind)
Some cheese (cheddar or possibly mozzarella)

Mix all but the chicken in a casserole dish. Place the chicken on top. Cover and cook at 375 for about 50 minutes. Remove and distribute shredded cheese on top. Let set for a few minutes until the cheese melts, then serve.

I have been making this for a while. Campbells calls for onion and garlic powder. I think it tastes much better with the real thing. I mostly use chicken breast, but I have lately used boneless, skinless thighs, and I think the dark meat and fat make it taste better. I have used various types of vegetables, including corn, green beans, broccoli, and carrots. Last time I cooked this I used spinach, which was really good. I like using fresh herbs when I can get them. They make a big difference. I don't measure out most the stuff. I just put in what seems like enough.
Enjoy and report back to me.

No comments: