Doan Courant

The semi-whenever newsletter for one of the many Doan Families.

Thursday, July 05, 2007

Down goes Goliath

Armstrong, Woods, Federer, the Celtics, Kobayashi--the great ones eventually fall. Takeru Kobayashi is the Ken Jennings of the competitive-eating world. He has won the Nathan's Hot Dog Eating contest for the last several years, since 2001 in fact. This year, however, he finally met his match, by an American of all people. Joey Chestnut bested Kobayashi by eating 66 hot dogs in 12 minutes, 2 1/2 more than Kobayashi. I am fairly certain I have not eaten 66 hot dogs in my entire life, much less in 12 minutes. This may not be on par with the Miracle on Ice of '82, or Villanova's win over Georgetown in the 1985 Men's D-1 NCAA basketball championship, but it is great underdog story. I imagine Disney already has optioned a screenplay for it. I wonder who will direct it?

No comments: